Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Haircut

What I am about to say may shock you, disappoint you or disgust you:  Kendra Wilkinson Baskett (or whatever name she goes by) was right about something (let's emphasize, one thing, she was only right about one thing.) I remember, on the one (lie) episode I watched, she was a mess about the thought of getting her child's hair cut.  She didn't want it cut and thought of it as he was losing the hair that he had while in her belly.  At the time, I thought she was being ridiculous, as her child looked like a chia pet was growing on his head, but now I get it.  Totally get it.

Mark has been on my case about cutting Karter's hair from about 5-6 months.  As soon as Karter started to sport curls, Mark thought it was time to cut it off.  I, on the other hand, loved his curls.  They were like his trademark.  What would Karter be without his curls?  Would he lose his baby super powers like Samson?  Most importantly, in a time when he is becoming more like a little boy every day, would this hair cut make him look like a little boy instead of a baby?

I finally gave in today.  I mean, I couldn't pass up a free hair cut at JCP.  So I called this morning and made my appointment.  I felt like I was going into it prepared, I had suckers for him and was going to have him sit in my lap.  We get to JCP and I then realize that I am not prepared in the slightest (I forgot the camera and a bag to take hair home in.)  I suppose Karter sensed this and decided to scream and flop around.  The hairdresser looked at me helplessly and Mark and I admitted defeat.  We packed up our stuff and headed out with the unlicked sucker and crying baby.  No joke, as soon as we stepped out of there, he took the sucker and happily licked it all the way home (and by happily licked I mean he got it nice and gooey and then rubbed it everywhere.)

By the time we got home, I was deadset on cutting this child's hair.  We strapped him into his high chair, gave him some cheese, got the clippers out and buzzed away.  What's funny, is that I thought it would be so much more traumatic than it really was.  I was fine.  Completely fine.  Sure, it made him look a little older, but he is getting older.  I can't stop it, I just have to deal with it. 

His first haircut may not have gone as I planned (I wanted it to be a big production), but I can not apply sunscreen to him without it getting stuck in his hair creating knots.  What more could I ask for?

8 comments:

  1. He is still the cutest baby ever!!!! Until you have more! I love the pictures. Love ya, K man, you're Grammie's big boy now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being a new mommy!

    Following from Jellibean Journals. Love for you to stop by and return the follow. Hosting Mom's Monday Mingle. Love for you to link up! Great way to network with other mommies!

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for visiting, Megan. I'm pretty sure you're the only person I "know" who's linked up with me. Yay! So sad we didn't get to see you while in OH, but I suppose following along on your blog is good enough for now. Take care and enjoy your curly haired little man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny---found you via Jellibean Journals! I had the hardest time getting my oldest son's hair cut...he seriously had the biggest mullet and could pass of as a girl! But there's something about the cute little short hair that makes it all okay! And I'm impressed that you did it on your own---I still haven't braved myself to attempt that!

    -Julie
    http://www.thechirpingmoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Follower and mommy to 3 under 3 so i totally understand sleep depravation!
    Misty @ http://monkeysandtutus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it would be so much harder to do on our own, but with food in front of him, he did great!

    3 under 3?? Sleep is probably a word of the past in your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. {Melinda} The first haircut is always a big milestone. Both times I took them to a shop called Lollipops. My daughter got her hair cut sitting in a Barbie car and my son on a mini motorcycle. They were thrilled to be there and it was a breeze. Which is a shock. Neither of my kids -- even at 15 and 12 -- like to sit still for long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lady!! I just came across your cute blog through the mingle and I'm your newest follow! I'd also just love to invite you to check out a fabulous TRIPLE GIVEAWAY I'm having right now!

    Hope to see you there, and thanks you so much!

    xo


    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/08/triple-winner-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete