Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Just Like Dad

The day has finally come...Karter is lengthening the leash that binds us together and is now actively seeking out Mark as his playmate.  It seems now that dad is the new cool and mom is old news.  I have to admit, there is nothing more endearing than watching Karter and Mark create their own inside jokes that I am not allowed to take part in (seriously, why is it not as funny when I put that stupid star toy in my mouth during diaper changes??) 

I feel like this weekend really solidified their bond.  Karter spent the weekend 'picking weeds' (aka strawberry plants) and husking corn with Mark.  As soon as I came over to join in the corn husking festivities, Karter wanted nothing to do with it and instead tried to eat the already husked corn.  I'm trying not to take it personally.  I don't mean to encourage gender stereotypes, but it's adorable to see them doing "boy" things together (but really, I'd be ok if they were doing cartwheels in the front yard instead.)

Last night, I was about to put Karter down for bed and Mark came home.  Karter was so excited and felt the need to show off.  As a result, he was up an hour later than expected, running from room to room getting into things he shouldn't (note to self: remove steak knife in my nightstand drawer that Karter now gets into-hey, you never know when someone is going to break in.)  Anyway, it was adorable to see how Karter's face lit up as soon as he saw his 'dada'...it was like he received a second wind.

While I'm not too eager to lose my title of "coolest parent Karter has ever had", I won't lie, it's quite nice when Karter prefers his 20lb self to be carried by his dad instead of me. 

1 comment: