Sunday, June 3, 2012

Our first vacation

So we embarked on our first family of 3 vacation this past week/weekend.  I'm not going to lie, I had many worries that the drive was going to be 6 hours of Karter crying, me crying, and Mark cursing the day he agreed to this.  Luckily, this did not occur, but I did learn a few things this week...

1.)  My husband must really love me. Seriously.  There's no other way to explain why he still loves me after hearing me sing "The Wheels on the Bus", "Old McDonald" and songs made up by yours truly for what seemed like hours on end.  Fortunately he found it more amusing than annoying.  I've got a keeper.
2.)  Karter is a gangsta.  Should you meet him in a dark alley at night, watch out.  He's badass.  He has started doing this thing where he points out his pointer finger and shakes his hand up and down.  It inspired many a gangster dance from everyone there. I'm 81% this came from the numerous times I sang "5 Little Monkeys" and pointed my finger when the doctor said no more monkeys jumping on the bed.
3.)  Karter hates brooms.  After putting out his bottom lip at the Taco Bell worker when she walked near his high chair today, the lady brought him over a board book that they put in the kid's meals, which was super nice. I thought this would me that perhaps she and Karter were now BFF's, but I was wrong.  As soon as she walked out with a broom he burst into tears.  Poor lady felt bad and said she would wait to clean until we left.  In case you were eating at a Berea, KY area Taco Bell today and it was dirty, that would be why.
4.)  Bathrooms make amazing bedrooms.  Judge me if you want, but after hearing that a friend puts her baby in a pac n play in the bathroom on vacations, I thought it was worth a shot.  It was the darkest and quietest place in the cabin (it was three floors filled with 10 adults and 4 kids.)  He slept like a dream, perhaps better than when he does at home.  He may have even gotten up quietly and showered in the middle of the night, I'll never really know.
5.) Time with family is fantastic.  Karter's aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents are now scattered everywhere, so it was nice to get everyone together and be in the same place at the same time.  By the end of our time there, I think he was even smiling at others and considering letting them get near him!

I feel like it's a huge milestone to get through our first family vacation.  If I can travel 6 hours in a car with my 9 month old, then I can do anything.  Well, except for the laundry that's now piled up in our laundry room...and unpack...and the dishes that are waiting for me...

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you need to move his crib to the bathroom???!! It worked on vacation!

    ReplyDelete