Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How Does He Know?

I continue to be amazed at how quickly Karter is discovering the world around him and how things work.  It seems that he has gotten to the point where he is now outsmarting me.  I thought that wasn't supposed to happen for quite some time.  The question that I have been asking myself lately is "how does he know..."

-Exactly when I am going to sleep.  No joke.  Mark and I go up, get ready for bed and lay down.  I read for a little bit and more times than I can count on my fingers and toes AS SOON as I turn to turn off the light, Karter wakes up crying.  Without fail.  Sometimes I turn off the light and just look at the monitor, waiting for him to sit up.  I'm actually considering sleeping with the light on, but he'll probably catch on.

-The things he shouldn't play with?  In a room full of toys, he goes for the lamp cord.  The play room usually looks like the toy box tossed it's cookies all over the floor.  Does this mean anything to Karter?  Nope.  He navigates around the toys to play with the lamp cord.   I've thought about removing the lamp, but then the play room wouldn't be much fun without any light, now would it?

-That I will eventually cave and give him the graham crackers?  Apparently, baby puffs and fruit wheels aren't good enough for him anymore.  Seriously, the child who would inhale puffs and find the container and take off the lid with his teeth is no longer eating them.  He just looks longingly at the pantry until I get out the graham crackers and give him one.  I might as well start sending him to the grocery to pick out what he wants.

-The right buttons to push on my phone.  Yes, I let him chew on my phone.  Will he contact mad cow disease from this one day?  Maybe. Anyway, every time I take it back, there is usually some new short cut on the screen.  I don't know how he does this every time.  The first time he did it, it took me forever to find out how to take it off. I'm dreading the day when he has changed everything over to a different language and I have no idea how to correct it.

-Just the right time to cuddle.  After having me chase him from the lamp cord, throw out his puffs and reprogram my phone, he knows just the right time to cuddle up in my arms and lay his cute little head on my shoulder.  And then bites it.  I'm choosing to believe that he thinks biting is a sign of affection. Hoping this stops before his fang teeth come in...

3 comments:

  1. a) i bet if he were verbal he'd say, "I love lamp."

    b) how do they know the functional phones from those that aren't working anymore??!! we keep a few old ones in a toy basket but they lack the allure of the working order. crazy. we shall send our kids to harvard. clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did start him out young to be an Anchorman fan!

    I bought a fake cell phone at Kohl's for him and Mark was like "take it back, he won't play with it." I did, and I'm sure he was right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thank goodness Uncle Matt got him his own phone now. Geez, what kind of parents are you that you didn't get him a 'real' one yet, duh. And if he changes yours to a different language, you always have Uncle Michael to translate it for you. That Karter Bug sure loves his mommy and daddy. That's probably why he wants to see you in the a.m., he misses you! What's wonderful is you can write such wonderful/real life things and laugh about it. Love ya,Mom

    ReplyDelete