Sunday, October 7, 2012

Be Careful

Ever notice that you have an overused phrase or word?  A few of my overused ones are adding an extra "like" where it doesn't belong and assuring people that "it will change your life."  Another one to add to my list?  "Be careful."  Karter is now running through life, literally, and climbing anything he can find.  I must tell him to "be careful" at least 39578 times a day.  For example:

Be careful as you climb on top of your riding tractor.

Be careful as you stuff the entire grilled cheese sandwich into your mouth at once.

Be careful as you are chewing on that straw that you just dug out of the trash can.

There's a good chance that he does not heed my warning because he hears it so much.  I don't know what it is, but it just makes me feel better to say these words.  I know that these words will not catch him when he falls or perform the Heimlich on him when he chokes on his grilled cheese, but they make me feel like I have some sort of control over the situation.  Life with a toddler lacks control, and if the only way that I feel that I can take control is to utter this phrase, then you can bet he will here it 39578 more times tomorrow!

1 comment: