Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Honesty-Is it the best policy?

So I like to be pretty honest about things, because I think when you are fake and sugar coat things, it does no good for you or anyone else.  I felt it was important to be honest when I struggled to get pregnant because so many people keep things like that private and then when you go through it, you feel like you are the only one.  Now, I feel that it is important to be honest about being a first time mom, but unfortunately that brings unwanted and unwarranted criticism.

I'm pretty sure that there are no perfect moms out there, although some may dispute that.  I'm by no means a perfect mom, but that's ok, because I love Karter more than anything and would do anything to bring him joy, safety and all good things in life.  I have the best of intentions for him and would never do something to purposefully harm him.  Even by my third child, chances are I'm not going to be a perfect mom or have all the answers.

I appreciate those that give me tips and resources because I admit I don't know everything.  What I don't appreciate is people who provide me with unwanted criticism.  Obviously, if I am asking for help or ideas I care about my child.  I know people have good intentions and would like to help, but making me feel guilty about things doesn't provide any help at all.  I have done plenty of research and tried numerous things in order to make Karter happy.  Positive feed back and affirmation is so much more helpful than critiquing my mothering skills. 

Being honest about things doesn't make me a bad mom, and I hope other people see that as well.  I hope that my honesty about being a first time mom to a tricky little baby will help another mother that may go through the same thing.

3 comments:

  1. Coming from another new momma, I'm impressed with your honesty! I'm also impressed that you are able to keep up a blog...kudos! Unwanted advice and criticism are the absolute worst. No one is the "perfect mom," but you ARE Karter's perfect mom. No other person could do the job as well. Being honest and asking for help doesn't make you a bad mom...it makes you human. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brandi! Miss you guys...and congrats! I hope one day our little ones can meet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very welcome! And thank you. If you ever need a vacation or just happen to be heading south, you are welcome to stay with us. We just found out we're having another boy, so looks like we have built in playmates!

    ReplyDelete