Monday, December 19, 2011

The First First Time Mom

Usually around this time of year, especially now, I think about Mary and what it had to be like to be so young and pregnant, knowing your baby was going to be the Son of God.  Talk about pressure.  Today, though, I thought of another biblical mother-Eve.  I mean, now that's some pressure...being the first first time mom ever.  After thinking about this, I've never been so happy not to have been Adam's wife.

Eve had her flaws, you could say, and she may have encouraged Adam to eat of the fruit and is the reason child birth is so painful (thanks a lot, Eve.)  But perhaps the greatest punishment of all, was being a new mom all alone.  When I say all alone, I know she had God, and who better to have as a guide to mother hood, but don't you think she was in need of some other mom friends?  Who did she go to to vent about Adam not helping with the diapers, or how she didn't think she could make it through another sleepless night, or about the flab on her stomach that just doesn't seem to go away?  Those just aren't things she would probably talk to God about.  Poor Eve didn't even have access to a copy of "What to Expect When You're Expecting."

So even though I'm sometimes annoyed by the advice or opinions of other moms, I'm thankful that I have access to them, because the alternative is downright frightening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment