Thursday, February 16, 2012

What has this world come to?

I should probably go back to work.  Or destroy my tv and cancel the internet.  I can't even believe all the stories I have heard lately on the news and on Dr. Phil of what people do to their own children and innocent other children.  It's sickening.

I am by no means a perfect parent.  I'm sure I make plenty of mistakes, but I love my child with an unconditional love and would do anything for him.  I'm not trying to pass judgement on others either, it's not my job...but I'm just in shock of the evil decisions that people make towards children.  Maybe I'm more aware of this now because I have my own child.  When you have a baby, most people think of all the joy it brings...what I didn't really think of was how protective I have to become of my child to protect him from all things bad in this world. 

Here's just a sample of the news stories I have heard as of late:

-I posted this on my facebook page, but the story of the parents in Indiana whose 4 month died of malnutrition just disgusts me.  Their precious baby boy died at 6 lbs 2 oz.  Did no one see this child and feel some sort of concern?  My beefy little boy weighed 15 lb 12 oz at 4 months...that is 2.5 times what this child weighed.  How could you, as parents, not feed your baby or notice that something was wrong? I mean, I just don't understand how you could ignore the cries of your baby, knowing that they actually need something.  Sure, sometimes it seems like Karter fusses for no reason, but I always make sure he isn't hungry, dirty or have some other immediate need.  Sometimes I wish there was some sort of common sense test you have to take before becoming a parent.

-Last night on the news there was a story about a guy charged with punching his girlfriend's 6 month old baby.  Luckily, the child was fine (though probably would be better off in a different home), but all the mother cared about was making sure her boyfriend didn't go to jail because he "didn't mean to."  Please.  If someone hit my child, whether it was my boyfriend or not, going to jail would be the least of their problems.  Karter is 6 months old.  I can't imagine him getting hit so hard that it cracks his ribs, and I really can't imagine feeling sympathy for the perpetrator and not my son. And how did the guy justify it?  He was just giving him a hug, but it was a "different kind of hug."  I'd like to give that guy a different kind of hug.

-Today on Dr. Phil, he is talking with children and their parents who were abused sexually by a teacher at their school in such disgusting ways I don't even want to type it.  How does someone become so immune to their conscious that they think it is acceptable to take away one of the greatest gifts of being a child-innocence?  It's a sad day when I not only have to make sure that Karter has the right calculator and pencils when he goes to school, but now I have to make sure he knows what an appropriate relationship is with a teacher.

Like I said, I'm not trying to pass judgement, but these kind of people make raising a child in this day and age a scary, scary thing.  My job as a parent is not only to make sure Karter is fed, changed, and well rested.  Now I have to make sure he is educated about appropriate boundaries, the lines of communication between us are always open, and that he knows I am a safe place that he can turn to.  Not only is it important that I do this for my son, but it's our responsibility to watch out for other's children as well.  Maybe that 4 month old baby would be alive today if someone spoke up or reported their concerns.

Seriously, after reading/seeing what I have this week, I'm going to start researching real estate in the deserted hills of Wyoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment