Thursday, July 5, 2012

Making Up For The Baby Book

It's an unfortunate thing that every time I remember to write in Karter's baby book, that is when Karter gets hungry for pens.  Specifically, the pen I am using.  It is for this reason that I have still yet to record his first words or keep up to date on the cute things he has done.  This is my effort to remember some of these adorable things he has been doing lately.

Bath time:  Nowadays, we're lucky if baths last more than 5 minutes.  I used to look forward to bath time as a bridge from dinner to bed time, but now it seems to be more hassle than what it's worth.  Karter has decided that there is no need to sit in the bath tub, but rather stand.  I might as well just turn on the shower for him.  The problem with this is that he will inevitably slip and hurt himself.  We are able to extend bath time by a minute or two with his favorite bath time toy: an empty teething tablet bottle.  Who needs the 5 rubber ducks, boat, foam letters and bucket he has in there?  He is obsessed with this bottle.  He would probably still have dirty knees and food stuck under his neck with out it.  So, thank you Hylands for making your bottles so fun.

First words:  Finally, we have words.  He's been super vocal and could hold on a very lengthy baby talk convo, but now we have actual words.  Father's Day weekend he uttered his first "dada" and the following weekend came "mama."  Of course, this doesn't mean he says them when we want him to, but at least we've heard them and know he can say them.

First signs:  He's been signing intermittently for awhile, but now it seems that he is actually understanding what they mean.  Kind of.  Yesterday, he was on top of his game signing "more" and "all done."  I gave him a loud round of applause after each one, thinking it would encourage this behavior.  Wrong.  Today, I would ask if he wanted more, he would sign all done, then scarf down whatever I put in front of him.  Oh well.

First steps:  A few weeks ago, he started taking his first steps (if I was a great mom I would have marked this date on the calendar.)  It's so cute to see him tottering as he walks towards me, or whatever object he is going after.  I know that walking is soon to come and I'm currently finding a place for all my valuables (most importantly my Big Boy bank.)

New favorite move:  Question hands.  You know what I'm talking about?  He puts his hands palm up and his arms out when you ask him a question.  Sometimes he does this even when you aren't asking a question, which makes it even cuter.

New way to kiss:  Zerberts.  Raspberries.  Whatever you call them, he just started doing it.  He puts his mouth on my shoulder and blows.  We both crack up and it's adorable. 

He has just been changing and picking up on so many things lately, it's hard to keep track.  I love this stage he is in and I'm trying to enjoy it as much as possible...when I'm not picking up the remote batteries he's knocked out, the peanut butter jar he's knocked across the kitchen, or the food he drops piece by piece on to the floor as he is looking me in the eye.

1 comment:

  1. And don't forget, when he's throwing them on the floor looking at you in the eye, he is doing question hands, like "What happened?" You are such a wonderful writer

    ReplyDelete