Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Hospital Outtakes

If my life was a sitcom, which I often times imagine it is, there would definitely be an outtake reel.  As I was thinking back on my time at the hospital, I realized that there were several humorous things that happened that would end up on said reel.  I think it's time I shared them with you, and wrote them down so that Karter can chuckle at his mom one day.

-So breastfeeding is kind of scary when you are a new mom.  I mean, how are you supposed to know if your baby gets enough to eat?  You can't see how much the baby is getting, so you just hope for the best.  Me, being the paranoid new mom that I was, kind of went overboard on the nursing, you could say.  The nurses would bring Karter back to me at night when he would start to fuss so I could feed him.  Well, on the second night, I fed him, and fed him, and fed him.  Eventually, I looked at the clock and realized he had been nursing for an hour and 40 minutes (which, is like an hour and 25 minutes longer than he normally eats!)  I called in the nurse to ask her if I should keep nursing or if he was done.  She kind of laughed and told me he was just sucking and not eating.  Looks like Karter played his momma for a fool! 

-There's a good chance that I had no idea what time he was born until a few days after he was actually born.  You see, I was pretty drugged up when they wheeled me back to my room, but I still felt it necessary to facebook post that Karter was here.  In doing so, I facebook posted the incorrect time he was born.  I wrote he was born at 10:55pm when really, he was born at 10:31pm.  I've considered getting it legally changed that he was born at 10:55pm because becoming facebook official kind of trumps everything else. 

-After the c-section, I wasn't allowed to shower until late the next day.  I was feeling pretty gross by Monday evening so I was eager to get in the shower.  Due to the amount of pain medicine I was on and what my body had undergone, the nurse wanted to make sure there was a nurse there with me while I showered.  Well I buzzed them and waited and waited and no one showed.  I was starting to get impatient so I started the process of getting ready to shower and figured Mark could just supervise me.  It was during this process that there was a knock on my door.  I figured it was finally the nurses responding to my calls.  I yelled "come in" and imagine my surprise when it was my uncle.  Needless to say, when you are mid-getting ready for a shower, you should always check who you are calling "come in" to.  Sorry about that, Uncle Steve!:)

I am sure there will be more outtakes to come in my journey as a mother, but this is what I've got so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment