Monday, January 23, 2012

My Biggest Regrets

I don't really like to live with regrets...I mean, who does?  But now that I have Karter, I realize if I could turn back time, I would do a few things differently.  Luckily, these aren't earth shattering regrets, but they make a difference just the same!

My two biggest regrets are:

1.  Buying a two door car while Mark and I were dating.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  It was affordable and got great gas mileage, and since I drove a lot for my job that seemed to be a good enough reason to buy it.  Now that we have a little one in a car seat, it seems like the worst decision I ever made!  Getting a car seat out of a two door car is more of a workout than I've had in months.  Sometimes I contemplate smashing out the back window because I figure it would be easier to get the car seat out that way.  I know I look pretty ridiculous in parking lots when I'm trying to get Karter out of the car and people probably chuckle as they walk by as I'm breaking a sweat trying to maneuver him out.  Should have just gotten a mini-van...

2.  Getting a queen size bed.  The bed worked pretty well (except when I was pregnant!) when it was just Mark and I...but now that little Karter has joined us, the quarters are pretty cramped.  I know what you're thinking: "Megan, you wouldn't have this problem if Karter slept in his crib."  Well, try telling that to Karter.  Karter refuses to sleep in his crib, and when I am exhausted and he's crying, I give in and he joins us in bed.  Now, I can't really imagine sleeping without him and I love waking up to a Karter sandwich (that would be Mark and I cuddling him.)  Unfortunately, Karter seems to think that the entire bed is his.  Actually, that is incorrect...he thinks my side of the bed is his.  No matter how far I put him on Mark's side, he rolls over to my side and pushes me to the edge.  I have drawn this illustration for you to show what a night in our bed is like.  As you can tell, it is not to scale (Karter is like 2x as big as me) and it may look like Karter has 10 legs, but that is because it is showing how Karter kicks me in the back all night long (and by all night, I mean the hour he is asleep.)



Chances are, if we had a king size bed this would happen as well, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have a larger space to sleep in. I'm hoping that by the time I am pregnant again, Karter will be sleeping in his own bed, or else little Baby Sasquatch #2 will be endanger of getting kicked by Karter in the womb. 

I find it really funny that we spent all this time making his nursery perfect, and he's spent maybe 15 nights in there so far.  I've learned that next time, instead of making the nursery perfect, I'm just going to spend the time and money making our bedroom the way I want it because that is probably where we will spend most of our time!

No comments:

Post a Comment