Saturday, January 14, 2012

What Your Boobs Were Made For

Disclaimer:  This post isn't meant to offend anyone, but it's my blog so I can express my opinion if I want to, is how I see it.

So I belong to this birth club on a baby website and mother's post questions and just general comments about their journey in motherhood.  A mother posted something a few weeks ago that has been bothering me since I read it.  This mother stated that she was going to be giving up breastfeeding her baby because she wanted to get her pre-baby body back and breast feeding was inhibiting this.  What makes it even worse is that other mothers were encouraging this!  People were sympathetic and expressing support for this woman's decision.  Umm, what about your baby, lady??

Since when is it more important to look good than to give your baby the best nutritional start possible (and did no one tell her that breastfeeding helps you lose weight?)  I mean, they say "breast is best" for a reason-it is.  Even the formula bottles tell you this! 

Now don't get me wrong...I completely understand that not everyone can breastfeed or breastfeed a full year (which is my goal.)  Sometimes it just doesn't work out or you aren't able to produce enough milk, and thankfully there is formula there for those babies.  I just find it frustrating when someone has the ability and milk supply to breast feed their baby and they choose not to. Babies who are breastfed are less likely to get sick, get allergies and to become obese, just to name a few of the benefits.  Again, how is the way your body looks more important than protecting your baby against all of these things??

I was getting my haircut while I was pregnant and the lady cutting my hair was talking to me about her pregnancy and that when she had her baby she didn't even want to try breastfeeding.  The hospital staff encouraged her to try and she refused.  I just don't understand this madness.  Your boobs are filled with liquid gold and you'd rather go spend $20-$30 weekly on formula instead? 

I'm the first one to admit that sometimes breastfeeding is sometimes a pain and an "inconvenience."  I feel like there is a leash attached to Karter and I because right now I am his source of life...but it's so worth it.  It would be nice to be able to have Mark wake in the middle of the night and feed Karter (and I know I could pump and he could warm up a bottle, but that's so much work at 2am!), but it's so much better for him if I just wake up and feed him.  It's one year of "inconvenience" for me for a lifetime of health benefits for him...it just makes sense.

So again, I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just don't understand people sometimes.  Kudos to all you moms out there who are breastfeeding, even when it gets hard.  Special shout out to all you working moms out there who continue to breastfeed and/or pump.  I only went back to work for 2.5 weeks but it was long enough for me to see what a commitment it is, and I commend you for it. (Note: if you are a new mom and going back to work, pump as much as you can before you go back!)

Well, this post is long enough...and my baby wants to eat!

2 comments:

  1. It's funny that the lady wanted her pre-baby body back, because BF is usually helpful for doing just that, since your body burns more calories producing milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! If I wasn't breast feeding I would probably have a lot of baby weight left to lose! It didn't make sense to me, but apparently it was inhibiting her ability to tone her body.

    ReplyDelete