Wednesday, April 11, 2012

We've Got Movement

It's happened.  The day I have been hoping for, or at least thought I was hoping for, has finally come...Karter seems to be crawling.  And this is like no other crawl that I have ever seen before.  This is like a dog with three legs type of crawl.  He just drags one leg along with him because it's still in the position so that he can go back to a sitting position.  He sits, then crawls 3 steps, sits, then crawls 3 steps and then sits.  I don't know if he just has my endurance for physical activity or what, but it's kind of hilarious.

I thought that Karter crawling would encourage more independence in him...which perhaps it will, but now there is a dependence on me to remove everything from his reach.  I'm talking everything.  No longer can the kids I watch just play on the floor with a puzzle because there seems to be a certain almost 8 month old who wants to join in.  No longer can Mark set down his cereal bowl to go get Karter some Cheerios, because my little munch thinks his dad's cereal tastes better than his own.  And would he allow me the courtesy of walking 10 feet to my phone to make a phone call today?  Nope...he decided that would be a good time to taste test every shoe in the living room (and let me just tell you, I haven't put my shoes away in a long time.)

So now my job description as a mother has grown to include shoe remover, cheerio cleaner upper and human step stool as Karter is using  me to stand himself up.  I guess crawling, while it brings about new challenges, is a good thing.  At least it gives me some sort of preparation for when all heck breaks loose and he starts walking.  Until then, I guess I better start putting my shoes away...

No comments:

Post a Comment