Saturday, March 10, 2012

Giving Them Back

I've heard people say time and time again that it's so great to be a grandparent because you can "give them back" to the parents.  Who knows, maybe in 30 years (it better not be 16!) I will feel this same way.  But for right now, I am so happy that I don't have to give my baby back to someone.

This morning as we were completing the production that is getting dressed, I just looked at him and realized how happy I was that I get to wake up to that face every morning (even if it is at 6:30am-which is earlier than I got up when I was working, FYI) and get to be the last face he sees at night.  I am so blessed to be his mother, and I wouldn't trade one day of it for anything. 

There are days that I want to crawl into a hole as he fights another nap, but that's okay, because the rest of the day full of kisses and laughs and reaching new milestones makes up for it.  Not every day is perfect or memorable, but it's another day that I get to spend with him,and I'm okay with it being just that. 

I am sure when I am a grandparent and reflect on the years I was a sweatpant-wearing-crazy-haired mom, I'll realize the blessing it is to be able to enjoy my grandchildren but give them back to my children so that I can relish in the joy of an uninterrupted night of sleep.  As for now, though, I am totally okay with Karter's grandparents "giving him back" to me, because quite frankly, when I'm away from him, I can't wait to get him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment