Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Mother's Heartache

I've said it once and I'll say it again...there is nothing more terrible than my baby being sick.  I feel so helpless when he coughs and when he sniffles that stuffed up nose.  Motherhood has definitely reminded me that I am not in charge, and when my baby is sick, I am reminded even more.  If it were up to me, Karter would never be sick and I would gladly take on that sickness.

Karter just has a cold and I'm beside myself trying to ease his discomfort and to make him feel better.  I can't even imagine what a parent who has a truly sick child goes through.  I am blessed with a very healthy baby boy, with the exception of a few major colds, and this is something that I don't take for granted.  My heart goes out to all the mothers out there that have to deal with more serious illnesses with their children.

I also wonder what it was like for Mary to watch Jesus suffer.  Maybe she was like me, and freaked at the slightest drip of the nose.  Wiping your baby's runny nose is no way to prepare for what Mary had to see her Son go through.  What pain she must have gone through and how many tears she must have shed.

So even though it kills me to see Karter in discomfort, I'm counting my blessings and know it could be a lot worse.  I would be a lucky woman if the worst that happens to Karter is a little cough and runny nose...

No comments:

Post a Comment