Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hovering Above

I'm trying not to to, but I'm doing it.  I'm heading towards helicopter parenting (and I don't even like flying that much.)  While a helicopter is a quintessential part to a successful date on the Bachelor, it's not so good when it comes to parenting.  Even though at 7 months I can't mess things up too badly, if I don't stop, I'm likely setting Karter up for some sort of failure by wanting to intercede in anything that could go wrongly in his life. 

I've read some about this term, "helicopter parent," in one of the gazillion baby magazines that I am somehow subscribed to, and from what I can tell...this is likely what I could potentially become.  I don't like it, and I want to change it, but it's hard to take a step back.

I mean, I guess at this age it's alright.  My body lunges forward anytime he is sitting up and I notice a wobble.  I freak a little when Mark is sitting with him and doesn't have quick enough reflexes to catch him.  I come to his rescue a little too quickly when he gets frustrated at not being able to move his hands with his legs when trying to crawl.

It's not that I want to hover in his life and over step my bounds, I just don't want him to feel any hurt or any failure in life.  And while I know I have the best of intentions, I'm not doing him any favors.  As much as it pains me (and likely pains me more than him), it's okay to let him tumble when he's sitting up...he has to learn to get back up when life knocks him down.  It's okay to let him get frustrated when he's trying a new task but can't quite get it...he'll need to learn coping and problem solving skills to succeed in life.

I guess part of my problem is that I worry so much about being a good mom, that sometimes I become a not good mom (not being too hard on myself, I could just do things a better way at times, we all could.)   Karter is going to get hurt...he's going to scratch his knee, he's going to struggle in some subject in school, etc.  My job isn't to be there to fix it and immediately make it better (though, I'm not gonna lie, I may complete a few school projects for him), but to teach him how to solve the problems himself and to be there for him when he needs a hug, a band aid, or some encouragement.

Like I said, I know I've got plenty of time and I haven't ruined things for him yet, but I am more aware of my body lunging towards him every time I think he needs something.  It's time I pack up the helicopter and send it back to Chris Harrison, anyhow...

No comments:

Post a Comment