Sunday, March 4, 2012

Stopping Time

I'm thinking about taking the batteries out of all my clocks.  Not because I'm becoming Amish (ok, so I really don't know, maybe they use batteries) but because Karter keeps growing and I can't make him stop.  So I'm going to extremes and stopping time myself.  Unfortunately, this will only cause us to constantly be late for things and won't help my baby from growing up.

Over the past 6 months he's been learning new things and it almost seems sometimes that he learns something new each day.  Lately, this has seemed to be on overdrive.  The other day, I was feeding him some fruit-veggie combo and he insisted on holding the spoon and feed himself (the doctor told me he wouldn't be able to do this...she should probably come here during meal time.)  When he does this, he makes a terrible mess and I'm constantly picking bananas and squash out of his hair and ears.  Well, on this occasion, after squeezing the food on the spoon all over his hand on the way to his mouth, he then took the spoon and scooped off the food on his hand and put the spoon back in his mouth.  A boy after his father's heart (not wanting to waste, that is!)  I was so amazed that he had the coordination and thought to this do this (I'm choosing to believe it wasn't a fluke!)

Then, today, I feel like he aged at least a month in the course of 12 hours.  While at church, he started waving to the lady sitting behind us who was waving at him (when he wasn't busy trying to rip the pages of my brother's Bible and stealing his pen.)  It wasn't a perfect wave...it was more of a repetitive karate chop but it was adorable nonetheless.  We came home and waved to him and he did it again.  Later on in the evening, Mark was holding him and he started spitting.  Mark and I laughed at this, which I'm sure will come back to haunt us (especially when there's food mixed in with that spit), but it's amazing how alert he is now and able to interact with his environment.  What happened to that 8 pound baby that I brought home from the hospital just 6 months ago??

Sometimes I just look through all the pictures on my phone that I have taken since his birth and I can't believe at how much he has changed.  I don't even remember that baby that in those photos...I just can't imagine that he was ever that small...and it was only 6 months ago!  It's scary to think how fast the next 18 years of his life will go when these 6 months have sped by.

Which reminds me...I have some clocks to de-battery...

1 comment: